Thursday, June 10, 2010

Staying Busy


I ordered these boots off of eBay and am so happy with them. Comfortable from the get go and since they're made from "destroyed" leather, I figure I can't hurt them.

Why should I need boots this time of year you may ask? I am finally following up on a lifelong dream and learning to ride a horse (see next picture if you're not familiar with equines)

I've gained a lot of weight over the past few years. I used to be a gym rat, working out five days a week and taking an aerobics class on Saturdays. Circumstances in my life made working out a chore instead of a pleasure and I gradually gave it up altogether. I have a gym membership but rarely visit.

Anyway, I knew I needed to do something and asked my husband what he thought about me taking horseback riding lessons (for the record, he laughed) Despite my misgivings due to aforementioned weight, age, and general infirmness, I set up a lesson with a local stable. Two lessons in, I absolutely, positively love it.
Just picking out the hooves is an aerobic activity for me. Then there's the currying, brushing, etc., before you even think about tacking up. I don't know what there is about horses but I enjoy being around them and am restraining myself from going there on a daily basis just to hang out. My birthday's next month and I'm going to ask for my very own helmet. If and when I think I know what I'm doing, I'm going to check into leasing a horse. I kind of doubt if I'll be ready for trail riding this year but hopefully next summer...

My garden is finally weeded out. I picked up a couple of bags of mulch that is supposed to cut down on weed growth so we'll see how it works. My husband thought two bags was plenty, but now agrees I could use four or five more. So that's on my list of things to pick up next time I'm near a gardening center.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the advice! NE was filmed in Roslyn, Washington :) LOL I know right?

    I am anxious about the move, just all the logistics are nerve wracking !

    ReplyDelete