Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The End is Nigh

Last week SmartPak advertised breeches on sale for the fuller figured woman (in my case, fat) I love the comfort of breeches and have two pair in black that I wear for lessons. Unfortunately my profile closely resembles Alfred Hitchcock so I always wear overhanging tops in the hope that it will disguise my gut. I'm sure the horse will tell you that this in no way fools her when my lard butt is on her back.

I am toying with the idea of competing in one dressage show this summer. The trainers at the barn think I'm ready for a walk/trot class. I still haven't decided, although I will have to soon as they will be planning their show schedule later this month.

Anyway, this is a long-winded entry to say that I ordered a pair of light tan breeches which arrived yesterday. They fit, so that is one item out of the way if I do decide to compete. I still need a proper shirt (a piece of clothing with an unfriendly neckline to a double chin) and jacket. I'd love to have good boots but at my level (bottom of the barrel) I can get away with paddock boots and half chaps. I'd also like a better helmet than my shiny Troxel but these are investments that can wait.

I am actually making a half-assed attempt at diet and exercise. Not for my health, naturally, but have you seen the girls/women who compete at English shows? Twigs, I tell you!

1 comment:

  1. I thought breeches for dressage needed to be white. That's one of the things that has stopped me from showing in dressage. Well, right along with a saddle, a bridle, etc etc but still white breeches. Am I wrong about that. Not that tan makes me feel much better but at least tan won't get dingy from my hard water. LOL

    There are few twigs here in breeches. I remember worry about that too the first time I had to wear them. Then I found out even the twigs think they look fat in breeches. That helped some.......not enough......but some. But honestly, the people wearing breeches are a reflection of the rest of us, a nice mix of everything so don't worry about that. You'll get used to it before you know it.

    I hope you decide you're ready. Sounds to me like you are. The first one is always the hardest and it doesn't get easier by putting it off so you might just as well get it over with.

    ReplyDelete